Barcode is an identification system for products. Apply Barcode Registration online in Gurgaon, Delhi, Kolkata, UP with the help of Filecrat Experts.
Barcode Registration refers to a representation of numbers and parallel lines (black and white) which varies in terms of size and space between them. It enables the sourcing of a product’s specification by scanning with an electronic barcode scanner or computer system. Further, it helps in encoding the valuable product information along with tracking/tracing of the product without any human error. Therefore, it is important to register the barcode and avail its benefits.
In India, the non-profit organization which is managing the barcode registration online across the country is GS1, which was established in 1996.Subsequent details regarding registration of barcodes is discussed in this page.
Submit the filled and signed GS1 barcode registration form along with the requisite fee and the “product classification sheet” duly encircling/highlighting the product categories being manufactured/supplied by the industry along with the required documents.
Functioning of a Barcode
- Readable by an electronic machine which is either laser or camera-based system.
- Encodes the valuable specifications of a product like product number, serial number, batch number and many other important information.
Benefits & Advantages
- It is fast and reliable.
- Enhances the business of a barcode holder entity.
- Scanning provides accurate and better data than humans.
- It can be customized in the number of finishes which makes it inexpensive.
- A barcode is a modern way of entering the data of a product only by a scan.
- Structures the data in a uniform manner which is slightly difficult for humans.
- It eliminates the unnecessary paperwork and the possibilities of human error.
- Facilitates tracking and tracing of a product during every movement throughout the supply chain have become easy.
Types/ Categories of Barcode
GS1 EAN/UPC Family Barcodes: This type of GS1 barcodes are printed on virtually every consumer product across the globe and can be recognized instantly. This type of GS1 barcodes are most recognized and most widely-used among all the GS1 barcodes.
GS1 DATABAR Family Barcodes:This type of GS1 barcodes are mostly used to label the fresh foods and can hold information such as batch number, expiry date along with weight and other valuable details.
GS1 1D Barcodes: GS1-128 and ITF-14 are highly versatile 1D barcodes that enable items to track through global supply chains. GS1-128 barcode can carry any of the GS1 ID keys additionally the other information such as serial numbers, expiration dates and other valuable detail while the ITF-14 barcode can only hold the Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) and is suitable for printing on corrugated materials.
GS1 2D Barcodes: GS1 two-dimensional (2D) barcodes represent squares/rectangles and contain many small and individual dots. This type of GS1 barcodes registration can hold a significant amount of information and may remain legible even when printed at a small size or etched onto a product. Further, this is used widely in manufacturing and warehousing to logistics and healthcare industries.
Pricing System for a Barcode in India
In India, it depends upon the following:
- Number of required barcodes
- Annual turnover of a Company
- Subscription period (years) of a barcode
The total price of obtaining a barcode will include the following:
- Registration fee: It depends on the desired product numbering capacity. It is determined by taking the consideration of the total number of SKUs/product variants/product types that are currently available along with the number likely to be added in the next few years.
- Subscription fee: It is expected to the subscribers that they will remit the subscription renewal fee on or before the expiry of the subscription validity period as specified on initial registration or on subsequent renewal of the same.
- Security deposit: This is an interest-free and the refundable amount payable once at the time of registration which will be refunded after cancellation/ termination of subscription by GS1.
NOTE: Total fee can be calculated on the official site of GS1 here
- Consultation with our Experts
- Drafting of Registration Form
- Application Submission
- Letter for requesting allotment of barcode on the letterhead of the company.
- A copy of the company’s PAN
- Proof of business registration which can be any of the following:
1. GST Registration
3. Partnership deed
4. FSSAI license
5. Shop Establishment Certificate
6. Any other necessary proof
- A cancelled cheque to verify bank account details
- Audited financial record of last financial year
- Details of the product such as MRP, product number, serial number and other valuable information.
A barcode is a representation of a vertical line which can be scanned electronically to fetch the details of products. It helps in identification of a product by all the participants in a supply chain to reduce the chances of selling a duplicate product and protects the goodwill of a product.
GS1 is a non- profit global entity which manages and standardizes the barcodes across India. It was established in the year 1996 as a not-for-profit organization by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India along with leading Chambers of Commerce and Industry and today it is an estimate that approx. two million companies of India including food, healthcare, transport & logistics (including customs), retail & consumer packaged goods and also the government is using GS1 standards. It controls the issuance of barcodes that can be scanned across the globe.
The product details such as product numbers, serial numbers, batch numbers and other essential details can be encoded by scanning a barcode.
No, this is not a government mandatory requirement. A retail barcode can work without a registration. In the case of an unregistered barcode, the stores enter each barcode number and link it to their inventory/billing software individually.
An international barcode registration enables visibility of product details on a Google search of the barcode number affixed on the product. Further, Barcode scanning will return product information from an international database to the readers online.
A barcode comes into a packaging of 100 and its multiples which can be 100, 1,000, and 10,000 to 1 lac.
HOW FILECRAT WORKS
With over 100+ offerings, we are here for all your filing needs
PREPARE AND REVIEW
We collect information from you and draft documents
Finalized document within the agreed turnaround time and you’re done.
Contact With Us