In this post we will discuss what is gumasta license and how can I get Gumasta license for your shop or business if it is located in the state Maharashtra. Gumasta license can be called as shop & establishment license so technically both are same with different names. So let us understand one by one everything about gumasta license.
What is Shop & Establishment Registration Act?
The Shop & Establishment Registration act legally allows an individual/entrepreneur to run a shop or an establishment in a state under certain terms and conditions as per the act. The act regulates the working hours, payment of staffs and working conditions of the workers and employees.
“Shop” means any premises where goods are sold, either by retail or wholesale of where services are rendered to customers, and includes an office, a store-room, go-down, warehouse or workhouse or work place for distribution or packaging or repackaging or finished goods is carried on.
“Commercial Establishment” means a shop, commercial establishment, residential hotel, restaurant, eating house, theatre, or other place of public amusement or entertainment to which this Act applies and includes such other establishment as the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare to be an establishment for the purposes of this Act.
Who needs to register under Shop & Establishment Registration act?
If an individual starts his/her own shop or a commercial establishment then that establishment shall be registered within one month from the date of commencement of such shop or an establishment.
All the shops and establishment have to be licensed as per this act except for those establishment licensed under the Factories Act.
Documents and Information required for shop & establishment registration in Karnataka
- Identity / Address Proof of the owner including photo, mobile no. and email id (Aadhar card/ Driving license/Voter Card/PAN etc.)
- Full address of the shop/establishment
- Full address of the head office (if any)
- Details of head of unit/ authorised signatory/manager (name, residential address, designation mobile no. and email id)
- Name, relationship and gender of the responsible family member/employee (if any)
- Incorporation Certificate, Memorandum of Article and Articles of Association (In Case of Private Ltd. Company)
- Authorisation letter for Authorised signatory / self-attestation Letter for Owner
- Challan /Payment Receipt /Transaction Receipt
- Duly filled Registration Form signed by owner / Authorised signatory
- Business Details: –
The procedure of Karnataka Shops and Establishment registration:
- Go to this site.
- This is the website for the E-Labour Department for online registration/ renewal of shops & establishments license.
- Click on the APPLY ONLINE menu and click on the Shops and Commercial Establishments Act. It will take you to the Government of Karnataka, Department of Labour where you would register your business.
- Click on New Registrations and fill the form online, submit it.
- Username and Password will be generated and send to your mobile number
- Fill and submit the application form online
- Make attachment of necessary documents along with the Bank Challan
- Get the acknowledgement number
- After verification by the Senior Labour Inspector, if everything is well; you shall be granted the registration certificate
- Obtain the certificate
Registration Fee For Shop Establishment Registration
- No Employees – 300/-
- 1 to 9 Employees – 600
- 10 to 19 Employees – 4000/-
- 20 to 49 Employees – 10000/-
- 50 to 99 Employees- 20000/-
- 100 to 250 Employees – 40000/-
- 251 to 500 Employees – 50000/-
- 501 to 1000 Employees – 70000/-
- Above 1000 Employees – 75000/-
How to check the application status
After registration, you can check the status of your application. (Remember to keep your Acknowledgement number with you)
- Click here and the below window will open.
- Enter your application Acknowledgement number and click on the search button. Another window will open displaying your Acknowledgement Number, Shop or Establishment Name, Proprietor Name, Address, and Remark/ Status.
When to renew for the registration?
The validity of the license is 5 years. You will have to repeat the above process before 30 days from the date of expiration of the certificate.